Fisheries New Zealand works to ensure that fisheries resources are managed to provide the greatest overall benefit to New Zealanders. Our focus is the sustainability of New Zealand’s wild fish stocks, aquaculture, and the wider aquatic environment, now and for future generations.
MPI is focused on growing and protecting New Zealand. We have developed a new organisational strategy to increase the sustainable economic growth of New Zealand’s primary sector.
MPI works right across the sector from primary producers through to retailers and consumers. Key functions include:
- Providing policy advice and programmes that support the sustainable development of New Zealand’s primary industries
- Being the Government’s principal adviser on fisheries and aquaculture management
- Providing “whole of system” leadership of New Zealand’s biosecurity system
- Managing forestry assets for the Crown
- Providing or purchasing services to maintain the effective management of New Zealand’s fisheries
- Protecting consumers of New Zealand food, whether here or overseas
- Providing effective food regulation for food produced or consumed in New Zealand, including imported and exported food products
- Developing policies and influencing behaviours that promote the safety of our food.